Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Power of Formative Assessment / Week 8 / ED 7726 / Blog Response

Formative Assessments / Blog Response

formative-assessment-word-cloud-2.jpg


In our “test-crazed” society, I’m afraid we’re focusing on the wrong types of assessments. With the implementation of the Common Core and SBA testing, a great deal of importance is placed on data and as a result, summative assessment is often emphasized. In fact, student learning benefits much more from frequent, ongoing, embedded formative assessment. What I’ve taken away from this week’s learning is the powerful role formative assessments play in maximizing learning. Watching this week’s slideshow and completing the activities on formative assessment provided many ideas of ways in which I can utilize technology to assess and increase student learning.
FormativeAssessment (2).jpg


offers several ideas for strategies that can easily be incorporated in the classroom. I am looking forward to trying out Socrative and have begun using Google Forms more.  Both sites have also been recommended by several of my classmates in their posts. I also want to try out the self-graded quizzes in Google Docs which are described by Richard Byrne on his website, Free Technology For Teachers.

From the slideshow, I was reminded of the value of formative assessments. Black and William noted the importance of self-assessment and the need for teachers to provide specific feedback to the student (p. 6-7). Giving students formative feedback is especially relevant to me right now as my students are in the middle of writing their final essays for the school year. I have them working on Google Docs, and I attempt to review and make concrete suggestions to each student as they are writing. I know that the more I comment while they are writing, the better the final product will be. When I first started teaching I spent hours grading and commenting on final drafts, only to watch the kids look at their grade and then stuff the paper into their bookbag (or even into the trash.) I now spend my time providing much more feedback during writing and much less feedback on the final draft. When I am able to work with a student, the results are much better.
formativefeedbacktostandard.gif

In addition to commenting on my learning, I also wanted to share some often overlooked formative assessment tools which come with the SmartBoard. I think that many teachers have SmartBoards in their classrooms today, yet often they are provided with little training. There are lots of interactive assessment strategies that can be found on the SmartBoard, yet sometimes we aren’t aware of them. I know that I’m still learning about all the SmartBoard has to offer. In my Google Presentation, I described three of my favorite tools.
First, I discussed the Random Word Chooser which allows me to select a student at random to answer or ask a question, make his/her presentation, or perform a task. I love the “no hands up” approach which this strategy allows. All the students must be alert, resulting in a love/hate relationship with the strategy. They actually enjoy the suspense of waiting for  the board to light up with the “winning” student, while at the same time some mourn the fact that they cannot remain “invisible.”
name chooser.png

I also discussed the Keyword Match which allows students to pair words or concepts with definitions. I use this on a weekly basis for vocabulary and the kids enjoy it. Rolling the dice is another activity which allows me to assess students’ understanding. I can put character’s names or events in a book on each side of the die. A student “rolls” the die and whatever it lands on becomes a quick quiz question.  The SmartBoard has many other tools for organizing, categorizing and identifying concepts. We have had a few SmartBoard workshops in our building which provide lots of ideas, but I think it’s time for another one. We learn so much from one another.

It is clear that formative assessment is critical to learning. It should be continuous in a classroom so that instruction can be adjusted when necessary. Incorporating technology into the assessment process provides many options for varied assessments and has the potential to make learning engaging and fun for students and teachers. What could be better?

Citations:
Black, P., & Wiliam, D. (1998). Inside the black box: Raising standards through classroom assessment. Phi Delta Kappan, 80(2), 139–148

Byrne, R. (2010, September 30). Free Technology for Teachers: How to Create Self-Graded Quizzes in Google Docs. Retrieved May 28, 2015, from http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2010/09/how-to-create-self-graded-quizzes-in.html#.VWdXJ89VhBf  

Dyer, K. (2013, July 15). Digital Technology Tools for Implementing Formative Assessment – Post One. Retrieved May 28, 2015, from https://www.nwea.org/blog/2013/digital-technology-tools-for-implementing-formative-assessment-post-one/  

Image credits:


1 comment:

  1. I think many students will thanks me when will use familyessay.org. One day I opened this service for me and something changed in my education.

    ReplyDelete